07 March 2009

Goonies, SeaLions & Fishing boats....

So, I am assuming that many of you remember the 80's movie, The Goonies. It is a favorite of the Colby boys. (They just don't make movies like that anymore.....probably today, it would have a different rating than PG, but your kids should definitely watch it....it's funny!!)






Well, it just so happens that the movie was filmed partly in Astoria. We spent a morning there before driving further down the Oregon coast to meet up with some friends. We took the boys to the "Goonies house", showed them the jail and the "museum" where Mikey's dad works. Later on in the day, they saw Haystack rock which is also featured in the movie. We weren't the only visitors to the house that day, there were other people that had arrived at the same time we did...just to see the house!



Sadly, Lance refused to do the "Truffle-Shuffle" for us.
Also in Astoria were the docks where the Sea Lions hang out. They were gigantic and actually really close! They were also very noisy creatures! I think the boys could have stayed there all day watching them.









And finally, the fishing boats. I (Mary) love big-old-rusty & dirty fishing boats. They intrigue me. And I love to take pictures of them. I can just imagine that the fishermen have had some thrilling times out there on these boats. We learned later at the Maritime museum that the Columbia Bar is known as the "Graveyard of the Pacific".














The boys....walking down the tracks.


2 comments:

Uberly Ewe said...

oh how FUN!!!! I had no idea that is where the movie was filmed. I am off to check if netflix has the movie for me to put on my queue.

Brad, Beth, Aidan, Sadie, Roxy, Stinky, Bob, & Mr. T said...

This is why we were meant to be friends! We were in Astoria last June. As soon as I found out Goonies was filmed there I was like, "Lewis and who... I want to see the Goonies." We also had to see the Short Circuit house and the school from Kindergarten Cop. Astoria is a cool place!