As I had mentioned before, I was given the "once in a lifetime" chance to attend the Democratic National Convention in Denver. Thanks to my friends who were national delegates!
(the picture above, was taken by my friend, Hope, who is a National Delegate and won a seat into the inner circle for the 4th night of the convention!)
Another lady and I left Spokane @ 6am, arrived into Denver by 915 and started our historic day. We got to the hotel were the delegation from WA was staying, secured our tickets, ate a quick lunch and headed out on the lightrail to INVESCO field. I'd say it took close to an hour for us to get in and get our seat! Once we were in line....we were in a sea of Obama supporters! Now coming from Spokane, this was truly a new experience!
There were people of every color!!! (which is something that I definitely did NOT see watching the Republican convention on TV). There were also people in every age group, from babies all the way up to elderly persons.
We met people from all over the country!! I talked to people from Alaska, Iowa, S.Dakota, Nevada, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Colorado, Caliornia & of course Washington! All Obama supporters! We were seated up in the 5th level. Which was really high up....and we were seated on the sunny side of the stadium....so that meant we were baking in the sun for about 7 hours! We took breaks with the people sitting around us to go in and be in the shade.
By an astounding coincidence, the same day Obama became the first African-American to become the nominee for a major party was also the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech.
It was such a special honor to be there for this historic occasion. To hear MLK Jr's children speak about their father was also wonderful! It was also pretty cool to see Stevie Wonder perform, Sheryl Crow wasn't bad either! As far as the speeches went, I was really excited to hear Al Gore and Bill Richardson speak. Also Joe Biden and of course...Barack Obama. Whose acceptance speech was amazing....the energy that he created that night....80,000 people cheering, yelling waving flags, crying and hugging....it such an emotional experience! I don't think it fully set in until about 2 nights later.....I could hardly fall asleep as I was thinking about and re-living my experience at the convention!!
And of course, I have to be grateful to Lance, who stayed home with the boys, so that I could head out to Denver and then onto my sister's house!
Yes we can!!
Senator Joe Biden
the 80,000 people
The man of the hour...

The work is not done though, we have much to do between now and election day. I am volunteering this weekend and once next week at the fair to work at the Spokane Democrats booth. I think it will be fun, and I put my name on a list to work downtown at the campaign office. It's fun and I am so glad that I have become so involved....makes me truly feel like I own a piece of Obama's campaign!




2 comments:
Sounds like quite the experience...I can imagine the electricity!
What fun! Great pictures and what a wonderful memory! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Post a Comment